SOMW competitions are open to all members of the Society: awards are by committee nomination only.
- The Roger Bacon Biography Award for Medical Students
- The Wilfred Hopkins Award is given annually for the best entry across all writing categories that year.
- The Gustav Plaut medal – to a member of SOMW for a substantial and sustained contributions to literature over a significant period. The rules and conditions are here.
- The Michael Lasserson award is given for the best article in ‘The Writer’ of the past calendar year.
- The Richard Asher Prize for Medical Writing — e.g. for a research paper or a published article. Nominations are required for this prize — simply mention the name of the paper, by whom it was written and in which publication it appeared. Self-nomination is acceptable.
- Twice-yearly writing competitions – fiction, non-fiction and poetry.